16 February 2009

Nutraceutical Therapy for Alcoholism/Addiction

I am a recovering alcoholic that has found success staying off of the sauce by using supplements. I am starting this blog to discuss my success with others that are still suffering. The arena of alcoholism and addiction treatment is ever-growing and changing and I feel that the future of successful treatment must include supplements. I've been in an inpatient rehab which seemed more like an expensive lock-down approach to discovering free AA meetings. I've also been through a couple outpatient programs. They might say that I didn't get it, but I say the programs inherently failed me and so many others because addiciton is not just a disease to be talked away. Admittedly, I am not a very good AA by AA standards. I rarely go but generally enjoy meetings once I'm there. I've never had a sponsor. I believe the overall tenets of AA are useful for anyone trying to improve their situation in life, but some aspects have never sat well with me. I am thankful for AA, though. It has kept me sober at times when I could not on my own. I now primarily manage my cravings and stinkin' thinkin' with supplements. I want more alcoholics to know about the benefits of supplements because it makes sobriety so much easier. I have had so many discussions with alcoholics that found the supplements just took away their cravings making sobriety so much easier. This is not to say that you magically enter recovery. You're still an alcoholic so don't pick up. And, there is still work to be done on the mental-emotional planes but no more white-knuckling it to the next meeting. My take is that cravings have many origins including mental and physical urges. It's the physical urge that is so difficult to overcome. When trying to explain cravings to a non-addict/alcoholic, I liken the experience to holding your breath. You can do it for a bit but as time passes there comes a moment in your mind when you want a breath so bad; your mind becomes a little frantic; you can hold it a little longer but oh, how great it would be to take just a quick breath to ease the very physical urge. And then a point comes when your mind and desire is no longer strong enough to stave off taking a breath. Of course, we have to breath, not drink, but the urge of cravings is similar when it's peaking. Just one drink, I swear. Well, we're alcoholics and we know how that goes. Thanks for letting me share.

No comments: