16 February 2009

Alcoholics/Addicts Can Be Silly

I remember being in a van full of sober (not recovering) alcoholics and addicts on the way to a meeting. There were 12 plus a driver, so imagine all of them trying to pick a radio station to listen to while managing how hot it was in the van and talking about our least favorite counselor. Such whiners is all I could think... although sitting back, I thought it was quite amusing. Then I remembered hearing that emotional maturing slows around the time that one becomes addicted... it was a van full of angry kids with no parent. So, I bring this up because a dear friend who is trying to get off alcohol is going through the raw emotions of her sobriety. She has been trying to stop for a few weeks now and has been so edgy that people around her are concerned that something is really off. "She's never been like this!" Well, true. Socially, one might never suspect her of being an alcoholic, and maybe she isn't but she's used alcohol for a long time and it's proving very hard to do without. During the earliest stage of sobriety you are left without your emotional blanket, your means of coping with the world. And all of a sudden the world seems more difficult, your emotions more fragile yet intense... your emotions are raw; you're just on edge and it's like you're along for the ride, not in control at all. They call it PAWS... Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome... well great, so what!Alcohol is a depressant by classification. It depresses/suppresses the central nervous system. Over years it creates a physical state that accommodates for the constant depressant input by down-regulating endogenous CNS depressants and up-regulating CNS stimulants. This creates a relative equilibrium state that includes alcohol in it's balance. Well, take alcohol away and you'll find the edge that my friend is walking on. It is a biochemically driven emotional state. Your nervous system is touchy to say the least and you have little control over the impulsive and intense nature of your emotions and sensations. At this point all of your senses are on overdrive and it's a little claustrophobic in that you can't really get away from it. Add the fact that it's hard to sleep at night and you've got a wonderful mess. The ugliest part about this for the suffering alcoholic is that the lure of alcohol is calling and if you can get it you likely will. It satiates the nerves and all is better again. We know how this story ends. This stage can last 3-6 months and is noted to sometimes cycle with AA anniversaries such as 30, 60, 90 days, 6mos, 1 and 2 years. Amino acid therapy is what I found helped me through this stage of my sobriety. I had the fortune of trying several alcohol programs based in 12-stepping and one that was a biochemical approach. In-patient is the easiest to stay sober. Out-patient preserves a little more dignity but is difficult during this early stage. Most people white-knuckle it while they are learning the rituals of AA. AA is always there for you but it can take a long time for it to work for you. I found the biochemical approach and the relief that it offered during early sobriety. I had no cravings, my nerves weren't on edge and my head was very clear. It's amazing how good you can feel when you're not drinking. With my physical self appeased and beginning repair I was able to do the other work that I felt I needed for recovery. I still work everyday on my recovery because I need to remember: one drink and I'm done. Thanks for letting me share.

No comments: